Sunday 8 May 2011

My Father...

- I just wish we could get him out of that home.
- I don't think that'll happen this late in the day though, do you? There's so little room here...
- (Sigh) I suppose not. He wouldn't budge anyway, bless him. Just too proud.
- No, he won't be moving anywhere. But he's not going to be around for much longer, is he?
- Oh Jerry, don't say that! Don't be so morbid!
- I'm being perfectly rational, darling. There's no hiding from the fact that he's a very old man. He's lived a long and pleasant life, but he's over 80 now, and all I'm saying is that his domestic comfort won't be an issue for much longer.
-You're a cold human being sometimes, Jerry, you really are. My father...
- Darling, I really don't mean to upset you, but I don't think it does anyone any favours to avoid speaking about these things frankly and honestly. We're adults, and if we haven't come to terms with our own mortality at this advanced stage then...
- Then what?
- Then...
- Then there must be something wrong with us, is that what you were going to say, Jerry? Is that what you think? Just because someone doesn't like to talk about an unhappy subject like that they're not right in the head, is that it?
- Marjorie...
- Sometimes I hate you, Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment